Tuesday, February 13, 2007

learning about my infertility


I come from a family that didn't talk about sex at all. I went to college and got married. When I decided to get pregnant and finally threw away my birth control
pills after years, nothing happened. I was thinking that it would probably take a while for the hormones to leave my body, since I have been on bc
for over ten years.. After two years and now I was 35. I finally realized that it was a problem.  Nothing was happening??? My doctors always told me not to wait because once you
are over 35 you are considered higher risk and that is not the time to find out that you are infertile. Now that you are older and you have to deal with that
then you have to deal with the fact that you may have to face more aggressive techniques than if you was younger. When I first went to my consultation with my doctor,
the first thing I said was (once he told me about all the aggressive things that I have to do), can I wait until Feb?????  He said with a resounding "NO!!!!"
Time is against us.  I am going to tell you the real details... in this blog.

It is truly amazing that no one talks about infertility..but 1 out of every 4 couples experience this.. Once I opened my mouth and started talking...every
one had a story. My mom, my sister, even people at work was going through the same thing..  Go figure?  

My doc told me that my husband and I have about a 10 - 13% chance of ever conceiving on our own, without medical intervention.

Shucks.

No comments: